What do SYs know about Self-realization?

Date: Sat May 6, 2006 11:24 am
Subject: What do SYs know about Self-realization?

"The word shrine in the text also means a holy place (thirta.) The allusion is to the pilgrimage of pious devotees to a holy place. There are certain disadvantages associated with holy places. As they may be situated at a great distance, pilgrimage may entail physical labour and suffering. The merit of a pilgrimage may be slight because of the inauspiciousness of the time. The comfort of the pilgrims may be disturbed by the weather. Robbers, thieves, or unscrupulous priests often give them trouble. Further, the merit accruing from a pilgrimage is not everlasting. But the worshiper in the sacred shrine of Atman is free from all these disadvantages and obstacles. Communion with Atman bestows upon the soul Immortality and Eternal Bliss.

The Mahabharatai describes Atman as the real sacred river, bathing in which the soul becomes free of impurities:

"The river of Atman is filled with the water of self-control; truth is its current, righteous conduct its banks, and compassion its waves. O son of Pandu, bathe in its sacred water; ordinary water does not purify the inmost soul.”

By worshipping a holy man who worships in the sacred shrine of Atman, the seeker obtains the result of pilgrimage:

“A visit to holy men bestows merit, because they may be regarded as moving holy places. The Lord, dwelling in their hearts, renders holy the place where they live.”

“A river filled with sacred water is no doubt sacred; an image of stone or clay is no doubt a deity. After worshipping them a long time, the aspirant becomes pure. But by a mere visit to a holy man one attains purity.”

Communion with Brahman is the most efficacious form of worship:

"By virtue of even a moment's serenity, attained through knowledge of the identity of Atman and Brahman, the seeker attains the merit that one may obtain by bathing in the waters of all the holy rivers, by giving away the entire world in an act of charity, by performing a thousand sacrifices, by worshipping the three hundred and thirty millions of gods, and by rescuing, through after-death rites, one's ancestors from the suffering of the nether world.”

"By the very birth of a man whose mind is absorbed in the Supreme Brahman — the immeasurable Ocean of Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute — his family becomes sinless, his mother blessed, and the earth sacred.” "

Swami Nikhilananda, Self-Knowledge
(Swami Nikhilananda, Self-Knowledge [Atmabodha], 1989, p. 171-72.)

—- In adishakti_sahaja_yoga@yahoogroups.com," jagbir singh" wrote:

Dear All,

SYs keep talking about Self-realization as if they are experts. After spending years in the collective i realized the poverty of Sahaja Yoga Self-realization. Even today i am still conditioned by my days in SY collectives though i have come a long way. But somehow i still unconsciously remember/retain the residue of the shallow knowledge of Self-realization that most decades-old SYs regard as 'sacred', a collective mindset that is incurably permanent since few have had the opportunity to escape the self-deception of ignorance. Thus i regard myself fortunate in that sense.

The other day i had a deep introspection that kept me awake through the night into dawn. For hours i did not sleep as i entered deeper within myself and tried to identify/confirm/reinforce that the Shakti within me is indeed the essence of Aham Brahmasi (i am Her/Brahman). i felt that i was drifting further towards the Other Shore, away from the shallow bank that many SYs are rejoicing.

i have been doing such introspection quite regularly now (but that one just mentioned was on a really deep level). Thus it is necessary to live daily in two modes, the external mode to deal with humanity and the internal mode that is the true sanctuary and solace.

This fleeting experience of Aham Brahmasi can neither be shared nor explained, only experienced in solitary silence.

However, i am compelled to give others a bearing of my position lest i drift too far alone. i hope SYs will learn much from the little they have had in knowledge so far. i sincerely desire they break free from the conditionings of their collective and dip their toes into the Ocean of Consciousness. That will give me much joy as i know others will benefit from realizing and identifying themselves with the Shakti within, a subject that is not in the official manual.

So to prove my point i am quoting those who know much more about Self-realization than the majority of SYs. i never heard SYs writing about such facts despite years in collectives. i know they equate knowledge of the subtle system as the sign of a self-realized soul. i am saying such a belief/conditioning is the source of ignorance and shallowness in our collectives. It is indeed sad to see so many SYs rejoicing on the banks, oblivious to the Ocean of Aham Brahmasi.

jagbir

Is Enlightenment Personal?
The Self as Satyam-Shivam-Sundram (Truth, Consciousness, Beauty)

The spiritual path is difficult from one perspective because the Self, the ultimate Reality that we are, is not clear to us as individuals. Some people say that Enlightenment is not personal. That is just a fashion statement. Enlightenment is as personal as it gets. The Self is both personal and impersonal. It is personal because it is you. How can it be any more personal? It is impersonal because its existence (your ultimate nature) is not dependent on time and space bound relationships.

As a mind/body, we are subject to the whims of nature and circumstances (karma). This clouds our understanding. So the teacher or a friend whom we trust is needed to tell us that our nature is not that of the body. Suffering is natural to the body because it is subject to physical forces. When the sages use the word body, they include the mind. The mental body is also a body but more subtle, made up of more subtle matter, but still matter.

So the Body is one thing and the Atman is another.

Bhagavan Krishna, in fact, points this out to Arjuna in the Hindu scripture, The Bhagavad-Gita.

The Atma is neither born nor does it die at any time, nor having been it will cease to exist again. It is unborn, eternal, permanent, and primeval. The Atma is not destroyed when the body is destroyed. (2.20)

Just as a person puts on new garments after discarding the old ones, similarly Atma acquires new bodies after casting away the old bodies. (2.22)

Weapons do not cut this Atma, fire does not burn it, water does not make it wet, and the wind does not make it dry. (2.23).

If we understand this dualism, we will not have to understand nondualism. Nondualism is not an understanding but our essential nature. The nature of Atman is nondual because Atman is Being- Awareness resting in its own nature. We cannot conclude this logically but only by Being That. That Knowing transcends logic.

If you know the Self, what does it mean? You cannot know the Self as an object. You are the Self. Therefore, it is always the Self knowing It Self. The mind cannot fully grasp this unless it has become transparent and fully saturated in the Self, where it knows that it is only the Self knowing itself through it. Patanjali says the same thing about the nature of the Self. Ultimately, the Seer rests in his own nature. That is the highest Samadhi. Self is Samadhi. Self is Nirvikalpa, beyond imagination and thought. Self is Sahaj or natural and always visible to itself as pure being despite imagination and thought.

In Hinduism, the Reality is often referred to as Satyam-Shivam- Sundram. Truth-Consciousness-Beauty. That which is of the nature of the ultimate truth, pure consciousness, and the essence of beauty is the Self. One's own Self. It is of such overwhelming beauty because the devotee who worships the God or the Self with all love and might and with desperation suddenly realizes that the devotee and God are in essence identical. The seeker had been looking for something that constituted the core of his/her very own Being. Imagine the shock! First the shock, and then the smile. Of course, how could it be anything else? The Lord always sits in our Heart as our own Heart.

This Realization is one of supreme beauty. The one that you had been longing for has been here all along as your own Self. Self is empty of all concepts. Its nature is that of completion that is devoid of all longing. Its nature is that of utter fullness that has nowhere to flow out to, being One without a second. The ancients called it Sat-Chit-Ananda. It has no basis for comparison and no reference point. We can say that it is the essence of beauty and bliss.

Love to all

Harsha

http://harshasatsangh.net/blog/index.html

NOTE: If this page was accessed during a web search you may wish to browse the sites listed below where this topic or related issues are discussed in detail to promote global peace, religious harmony, and spiritual development of humanity:

www.adishakti.org/
www.al-qiyamah.org/
www.adi-shakti.org/  — Divine Feminine (Hinduism)
www.holyspirit-shekinah.org/  — Divine Feminine (Christianity)
www.ruach-elohim.org/  — Divine Feminine (Judaism)
www.ruh-allah.org/  — Divine Feminine (Islam)
www.tao-mother.org/  — Divine Feminine (Taoism)
www.prajnaaparamita.org/  — Divine Feminine (Buddhism)
www.aykaa-mayee.org/  — Divine Feminine (Sikhism)

Disclaimer: Our material may be copied, printed and distributed by referring to this site. This site also contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available to our readers under the education and research provisions of "fair use" in an effort to advance freedom of inquiry for a better understanding of religious, spiritual and inter-faith issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes other than "fair use" you must request permission from the copyright owner.

search

Home
Introduction
New Age Children
Miracle Photo
Meeting His Messengers
Prophecies
Age Of Aquarius
Nostradamus
Mayan End Age 12-21-2012
Our Conscious Earth
Adi Shakti's Descent